Genizah Update #26
November 11, 2010
We have liftoff! Sacred Treasure: The Cairo Genizah has launched into published existence, and the journey seems to be going wonderfully.
On October 27th, Congregation Kol Ami in Woodinville hosted a launch-party for the book. It was a delightful evening, which included Havdalah (the ceremony marking the end of the Jewish Sabbath), several tributes emceed by my son Jacob, some great Middle Eastern food, and books galore. Over 100 people attended, and I was gratified and touched that so many joined in the celebration.
The evening also featured a Sacred Treasure cake, pictured above. These days, cake-preparers can somehow reproduce photographic images in frosting, and the cake at the launch party featured an image of the cover of my book. The cover, as you can see, includes a swath of a Genizah manuscript, which means that, if I am not mistaken, this is the first time ever that an image of a manuscript from the Cairo Genizah has been rendered in frosting. A historic event if there ever was one!
Many thanks to Stephanie Glickman, Jen Shevitz, Judy Simon, Stacy Schill, and everyone else who made the wonderful event happen. Thanks, too, to Peggy Barnett, who took the photos:
A couple of reviews have been written about the book, and more are sure to come. Two now appear on Amazon.com – one of them was written by Israel Drazin, an Orthodox rabbi, and both give the book five stars.
Another review – written by a prominent Conservative rabbi and not yet published – was VERY enthusiastic. The review is headlined “The Way a History Book Should be Written.” It opens, “What an exciting book this is!” It calls the book “a page turner,” “fast moving and well written,” “a book for all who like exciting stories.” In general, the review is pretty positive.
If you have read the book and enjoyed it, please feel free to post a review on Amazon. These reviews are hugely important and are of great help in getting the word out about the book.
If, however, you have read the book and didn’t enjoy it, then don’t worry about the review…we’ll come up with another way for you to support the cause.
See these recent stories about the book and other matters-Genizah:
• Article about the book and the launch party in this week’s edition of Northeast King County Washington’s River Current News (this article will become publically available online by tomorrow, November 12th): http://www.rivercurrentnews.com/news/2010-11-11/Front_Page/Local_Rabbi_Unfolds_the_Cairo_Genizah.html
• Article in the current edition of Reform Judaism Magazine: http://reformjudaismmag.org/Articles/index.cfm?id=1827
• Article in the Lansing (Michigan) State Journal (I spoke about the Genizah in Lansing for a couple of days right after the launch party): http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20101029/NEWS01/10290326/1001/NEWS/Rabbi-tells-story-of-Hebrew-texts-found-in-Cairo
As I mentioned in a previous email, books are now available online or directly from me:
Full disclosure time: You can get the book for the best price at Amazon or other such online retailers. I, however, earn about twice as much if you buy it from the publisher, and about eight times as much if you order it directly from me. If you opt for the latter, here is the information you’ll need.
Book price: $24.99
Sales Tax (WA only) $2.15
Shipping (if needed) $3.00
Checks payable to:
Rabbi Mark Glickman
15030 232nd Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98077
As you can see below, I am speaking about the Genizah to a wide variety of groups within the next several months. If you are interesting in having me speak, please feel free to let me know.
As always, I thank you for your ongoing enthusiasm and support.
Rabbi Mark Glickman
Date Time Venue City
1. Sun Nov 14, Sun , Nov 21 10:00 AM St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church Bellevue, WA
2. Thu, Nov 18 7:00 PM Eagle Harbor Book Co. Bainbridge Island, WA
3. Thu, Dec 2 11:30 AM Oregon Board of Rabbis Portland
4. Thu, Dec 2 Noon Cong. Beth Israel Portland
5. Thu, Dec. 2 7:00 PM Powell’s Bookstore, Cedar Hill Crossing Beaverton, OR
6. Tues, Dec 7 TBA Hamilton International Middle School Seattle, WA
7. Thu, Dec 9 Noon Temple Beth El Tacoma, WA
8. Sun, Jan 2 9:00 PM Pac. Assn. of Reform Rabbis (PARR) Palm Springs, CA
9. Thu, Jan 6 7:30 PM University Synagogue Irvine, CA
10. Sun, Feb 27 TBA Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel Boise, ID
11. Fri, Mar 18 Noon University District Rotary Club Seattle, WA
12. March 27-30 TBA Central Conference of American Rabbis New Orleans, LA