Genizah Update #25
October 28, 2010
This past Tuesday was a long hard day for me. However, as you can see above, when I returned home weary and disheveled at about 10:15 PM, I was delighted to find awaiting my arrival several boxes of the printed copies of my book, Sacred Treasure: The Cairo Genizah. After three years or so of hard work, it was very gratifying to see my Genizah project finally come to fruition. Thanks to all of you who helped make it possible.
The books are now available from the publisher, Amazon, and other online retailers. You get the best price from Amazon et al; I get a bigger piece of the pie if you order from the publisher, and a far bigger one if you order directly from me. See details below.
As I write this, my book is #10 on Amazon’s “Religion & Spirituality>Judaism>History of Religion” list – down from #6 earlier in the day. I’m guessing this means that two of you have ordered to book from them, and I thank you both!
As I mentioned in a previous email, Congregation Kol Ami (Woodinville, WA) is sponsoring a launch party this coming Saturday, October 30th, at 7:30 PM. The evening will include Havdalah (a brief ceremony marking the end of the Jewish Sabbath), a short reading from the book, and an opportunity to purchase your copy and have me sign it for you. The event is open to the public, and I would be delighted if you could attend. (A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Congregation Kol Ami).
ARTICLE IN REFORM JUDAISM MAGAZINE
The Winter issue of Reform Judaism Magazine will include a major feature about Expedition Genizah – my trip with Jacob to Cambridge, Cairo and New York. If you belong to a Reform Congregation in North America, you should receive your copy of the magazine on or around November 10. However, the article is now available to everyone online at http://reformjudaismmag.org/Articles/index.cfm?id=1827. And although it doesn’t appear very clearly over the internet, the cover of the magazine will include a teaser for the article – “Indiana Glickman and the Chamber of Secrets.”
Other Upcoming Events
As you can see below, my schedule is filling up rapidly. That said, I am eager to share the Genizah story with whomever is interested in hearing it, so please encourage the various groups and communities in which you are involved to consider inviting me as a speaker – synagogues, churches, universities, Kiwanis, book clubs, military brigades, foxhunts – I’ll speak wherever I can.
Date Time Venue City
1. Sat, Oct 30 7:30 PM Congregation Kol Ami Woodinville, WA
2. Sun, Oct 31 7:00 PM Cong. Kehillat Israel Lansing, MI
3. Mon, Nov 1 7:00 PM Michigan State University E. Lansing, MI
4. Tue, Nov 2 7:00 PM Elliott Bay Book Co. Seattle, WA
5. Sun Nov 14, Sun , Nov 21 10:00 AM St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church Bellevue, WA
6. Thu, Nov 18 7:00 PM Eagle Harbor Book Co. Bainbridge Island, WA
7. Thu, Dec 2 11:30 AM Oregon Board of Rabbis Portland
8. Thu, Dec 2 Noon Cong. Beth Israel Portland
9. Thu, Dec. 2 7:00 PM Powell’s Bookstore, Cedar Hill Crossing Beaverton, OR
10. Thu, Dec 9 Noon Temple Beth El Tacoma, WA
11. Sun, Jan 2 9:00 PM Pac. Assn. of Reform Rabbis (PARR) Palm Springs, CA
12. Thu, Jan 6 7:30 PM University Synagogue Irvine, CA
13. Sun, Feb 27 TBA Cong. Ahavath Beth Israel Boise, ID
14. Fri, Mar 18 Noon University District Rotary Club Seattle, WA
At the risk of sounding like the proverbial broken record, thanks again for your ongoing support and enthusiasm. I hope to see those of you who can attend at the party on Saturday night.
Rabbi Mark Glickman
If you would like to order the book directly from me, here is the info you’ll need:
Base Price $24.99
Shipping (If needed) $3.00
Tax (WA only) $2.15
Checks should be payable to me, and sent to:
15030 232nd Ave. NE
Woodinville, WA 98077